Nowadays, everyone wants to make their home beautiful. There are many things that you can use to change the look of your home. One of the essential things that you can use is to change its curtains. The curtains play an important role in the decoration of your room. It is as important as the furniture of your home. It helps to change the look of your room. For this, you must have a good knowledge about the curtains. Lack of proper knowledge can give your home a terrible and bad look. You can decorate your windows and doors with the help of curtains. There are different types of curtains available in the market. So, before purchasing any curtain you must think about it. Below, I am sharing 5 essential things that you must consider before purchasing curtains. So, let’s start!
1. Fabric & colour
It is the most important thing that you should consider before purchasing any curtain. The life of your curtain totally depends upon the fabric of your curtain. The curtain comes in a variety of fabrics. You must consider these following things:
- A good quality of fabric helps to sit beautifully for a long period. If the fabric of the curtain is too heavy, then it will cover all the space of your window and doesn’t fold correctly. A very light fabric doesn’t fall in a good way.
- The fabric of the curtain should allow the free flow of air through it and also helps to keep the dust particles away. Try to avoid the fabric that can create suffocation and raises the allergies and dust into the room.
- Before purchasing, you should check the draping and spill power of the curtain fabric. The fabric should stay in its proper curtain shape after being spilling it.
- Select the curtain that should have a good exposure to the sunlight. A good fabric will not get fade away with the exposure to sunlight over it. If your room gets plenty of sunlight, then choose the light color fabric.
- The material of the fabric should be according to your choice. If you want to block the sunlight, then choose a thick material curtain. During summers, a cotton and linen fabric is the best. Other than this, you can also choose from the silk, velvet, and faux silk material.
- Choose the color that best matches the walls and furniture of your room.
- If you have plain walls, then you can also choose textured print curtains. But if you have textured walls, then you can select the plain curtains.
- If your room has a dark color walls, then you should select the light color curtains and vice versa.
2. Length and Lining
It is the first thing that you should do for purchasing a curtain.
- Measure the height of the window and door of your room.
- Add a few more inches to the length as the curtain starts from the top of the window.
- Double the width of the window or you can also add 4 to 8 inches to ensure the fullness of the curtain in the window. This also helps in blocking the sunlight into the room.
3. Curtain style
The curtain comes in a variety of styles. You can choose the style according to your taste. It comes in pinch pleat, inverted pinch pleat, tab top and also grommet-top style. If you want to give your rooms, modern looks then go for grommet-top style.
4. Readymade or tailored
You can take the help of a tailor to make curtains of your home and also purchase the readymade curtains. The curtains made up by the tailor are better than readymade. The curtains made by the tailor can be made according to the size of your window. Readymade curtains, on the other hand, have standard dimensions. So, it is better to purchase the fabric of the curtain and stitch them according to your curtain style taste and dimensions. In this way, you can make the curtains of your home long lasting and durable.
5. Dry Cleaned or Home Washing
It is also important to buy the curtains on the basis of washing. Home washed curtains are better than dry cleaner as it saves your money.
You must consider these 5 things before purchasing curtains for your home. It will help to make your home look more beautiful.
Author Bio: I am a freelance essay writer and normally writing essays to the students for reducing the complexity of academic assignments. Writing is a passion for me and it helps me to get away from all the stress that I face in my everyday life. It is the main reason for me to pick freelance writing as my professional career. I help students who approach me to write my essay online and I also find pleasure in writing blog articles.